THE EARLY YEARS OF SCMC
SCMC TRIVIA (reprint from an SCMC Banquet insert)
- February 8, 1969 - 21 people met at Schaeffer's Harley Davidson to discuss starting a club.
- February 23, 1969 - Voted dues to be $1.00/month or $10.00/year.
- March 9, 1969 - First set of officer were elected.
President: Earl PaxsonVice President: Clair Dougherty
Secretary: Leon GordonTreasurer: Robert Conrad
Road Captains: Carl (Pap) Schaeffer and Clyde Manbeck
Referee: Dennis Schaeffer.
- March 23, 1969 - Voted on the club name, SCHUYLKILL COUNTY MOTORCYCLE CLUB.
- May 19, 1969 - Voted club colors Black & White.
- June 16, 1969 - First club jacket cost $13.45.
- August 23 & 24, 1969 - First club outing held at Carl Schaeffer's field, $1.00 per cycle.
- September 15, 1969 - Joined the AMA.
- November 3, 1969 - Voted to join district 6 Sports Association.
- March 14, 1970 - First club banquet held at New Ringgold Fire Company, $3.00 per person.
- May 17, 1970 - First sanctioned poker run at Schaeffer's Harley Davidson.
- November 1, 1970 - Voted to by 15 acres of land from Mrs. Paxson to build clubhouse.
- April 5, 1971 - Paid down payment of $2,000 on 15 acres. The total price was $15,000.
- October 3, 1975 - Received permit to build after much hassle from township supervisors.
- December 1975 - Paid off property mortgage.
- April 1976 - Started to build clubhouse.
- July 1976 - First club meeting at clubhouse.
- August 8, 1976 - First poker run from clubhouse.
- April 1979 - Building completed with concreting of basement floor.
- 1980 - Designated by AMA as the 6th Best Club in the USA.
- 1981 - Designated as the 4th Best Club.
- 1982 - Designated as the 3rd Best Club.
- 1983 - Designated as the Best Club!!!!!!!!!!
- 1984 - Designated Government Relations Club of the Year and 3rd Best Club in the USA.
- 1987 - Designated 3rd Best Club once more.
- 1988 - Designated 2nd Best Club.
We are a family-based motorcycling club that encourages the experience of safe motorcycling for the entire family. We are located in South Manheim Township, Schuylkill County for over 35 years. Our drill team that is part of our club and has entertained the public for many years, and is recognized in Harley history.
- President:Bonnie Trego
- Vice President:Rick Moyer
- Teasurer:Laurel Moyer
- Secretary:Dennis Stamm
- Referee:Joe Love
- Road Captain:Rich Geiger
- Drill Team:Jim Fleming
Schuylkill County Motorcyle Club is a benefactor to the Schuylkill County Society For Crippled Children. They provide free monthly Pediatric Orthopedic Clinics for children ages birth through 18 who are born with a disabling condition. They wish to promote the total health and welfare of the children of Schuylkill County.
Our A.M.A. (American Motorcyclist Association) charter # is 3072. We have received various awards from the A.M.A. All S.C.M.C. active members are A.M.A. members and own and operate a motorcycle. We particapate in motorcycle events both on and off road. We sponsor breakfasts & lunches along with other social events. All makes and models of motorcycles are weclome in our organization. Our by-laws do not permit consumption of alcohol or controlled substances on club property.